Almost everything you need to live a life for Jesus is contained in that one chapter.
(1) Verses 1-7 tell us who may enter the kingdom of God and that is those with a child like faith. Notice I did not say childish faith, but rather that of a little child trusting in ONE who loves Him.
(2) Verses 7-9 says if something or someone brings you to sin, get rid of it. He says better to be rid of this than to allow it to bring you to sin and end up lost.
(3) Verses 10-14 are about how precious each one of us is to him as he shares the example of the lost 1 sheep compared to the 99.
(4) Verses 15-17 teach us what to do when we have an issue with someone in Christ. That we are to go to them. If they do not listen, we are to take two witnesses with us. If they don't listen, then we take it to the church. And if then they do not listen, we have nothing to do with them. I don't see much of that happening today.
(5) Verses 18-20 are possibly some of the most important in the entire bible as they tell us whatever we bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever we loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Along with whatever 2 of you agree on will be done for you.
(6) Verses 21-35 are the story of forgiveness and that if we do not show forgiveness to others, God will not forgive us.
Regarding forgiveness, I want to share one point with you. I see many portraying forgiveness as a process that you arrive at once you have processed the hurt. I don't see it that way. I believe Jesus is telling us here that forgiveness is truly not a choice for us if we desire to have His forgiveness and go to be with Him one day. We START with choosing to forgive and then we work through the process. Not the other way around. One thing that truly helps in that process is to begin to pray the Prayer of the Blessing onto that person you are forgiving. When you do that, God will change your heart and in turn, you will see that person change or the circumstances change. God's plan is magnificent! As we submit to His will, He in turn brings us greater blessings and a life that more models His own.
WOW! Life instructions 101! Take time to read Matt 18 and apply it to your life. It has been a great blessing to me.
PRAYER: Father, there just is so much to learn about You and Your ways. Please walk with me and show me Your will and Your ways so that I may live them bringing honor to Your name and that my life would be more and more like you. I thank you for saving me and for helping me to walk in truth.
Treasuring You in His Love,